The goal of the course is to provide basic knowledge of the wireless transmission in real environments for specific applications, namely for the needs of the planning of wireless radio links. The key topics include: the wireless transmission, the link budget for various types of radio links, antenna parameters, basic types and applications of antennas, propagation of radio waves in the atmosphere for specific frequency bands and telecommunication services, propagation models for planning of fixed an mobile links for both terrestrial and satellite services, the interference and frequency planning, basics of cellular networks, ITU-R recommendations.
The goal of the course is to provide basic knowledge of the wireless transmission in real environments for specific applications, namely for the needs of the planning of wireless radio links.
1. Basics of general wireless radio link
2. Antenna parameters, basic antenna types and applications
3. Spherical wave in free space, Friis equation
4. Huygens principle, Fresnel zones, geometric optics
5. Wave reflection, scattering, refraction, and diffraction in realistic environments
6. Transmission media for specific frequency bands and telecommunication services
7. Physical aspects of electromagnetic wave propagation in the atmosphere, empirical and deterministic propagation models
8. Propagation of the space wave in the troposphere
9. Line-of-sight links, link power budget
10. Ground surface wave, radio links in LF/MF bands
11. Fundamentals of the wave propagating in anisotropic ionosphere, HF radio links
12. Mobile links, wave propagation in built-up areas
13. Interference and frequency planning in cellular networks
14. Satellite links, the link budget
1. Introduction, basic concepts
2. Electromagnetic wave - radiation, experiment
3. Antenna parameters - measurement of radiotransmision
4. Spherical wave, Friis equation - measurement
5. Free space propagation
6. Fresnel zones, diffraction
7. Propagation over a flat ground - measurement
8. Effective earth radius, refraction
9. Link budget of a fixed link
10. Ground surface wave propagation
11. General empirical model
12. Link budget of a mobile link
13. Interference analysis
14. RF planning tools, summary
 Saunders, S., Aragon-Zavala, A., Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems, 2nd Edition, Wiley, 2007.
 Barclay, L.W., Propagation of Radiowaves, 2nd edition, IEE, 2003.