This course introduces the basic theory, principles of operation and properties of electron devices. Physical principles of operation, device structures and characteristics are explained together with adequate models for small- and large-signal. Basic applications in analogue and digital electronics are examined. In seminars and labs, students are introduced to basic principles of device simulation, measurement of device characteristics and extraction of device parameters. Operation of electron devices in electronic devices is then analyzed using the PSpice simulator.
100% attendance (re-make of missed exercises during the 14th week), submit processed results of all measurements in the laboratory workbook, successful pass in the final test
1. Historical overview, basic electronic circuits. Ideal electron devices (independent and dependent sources, resistors, capacitors and inductors) and their real equivalents, device models and parameters. Materials used in contemporary electronics.
2. Semiconductor basics (crystal and band structure, electrons and holes, charge neutrality, intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductor, acceptors and donors).
3. Charge transport in semiconductors: Ohm's law, drift and diffusion component of current density, mobility, continuity equation, charge generation and recombination, diffusion length.
4. Poisson's equation for semiconductor. PN junction, thermal equilibrium, function at forward and reverse bias, barrier and diffusion capacitance, breakdown mechanisms, influence of temperature.
5. Metal-Semiconductor junction, heterojunctions and heterostructures. Semiconductor diodes (structures, characteristics, models and applications).
6. MIS Structure: depletion, accumulation, weak and strong inversion, threshold voltage, potential well. Transistor MOSFET: structure, principle of operation.
7. MOSFET: characteristics, small- and large-signal models, subtreshold regime, short channel effect, backgating, scaling, influence of temperature.
8. MOSFET: operating point, basic circuits and applications, high frequency and switching properties. CMOS: inverter, transition gate, applications in digital circuits.
9. Bipolar junction transistor (BJT): structure, principle of operation, characteristics, small- and large-signal models, operating point, influence of temperature.
10. BJT: basic circuits and applications, high frequency and switching properties. BJT versus MOSFET, BiCMOS, HBT.
11. Power semiconductor devices: PiN diode, thyristor, IGBT, power MOSFET - principles, structures, characteristics, models and typical applications. Discrete passive elements (resistors, capacitors and inductors) and their properties, packages.
12. Memories: SRAM, DRAM, transistor FAMOS (floating gate concept, tunneling and hot-electron injection), EPROM, EEPROM, FLASH - properties, organization, writing and reading. Transistors JFET, MESFET, HEMT.
13. Optoelectronic devices: radiation sources (LED, injection laser) and detectors (photoresistor, PiN diode, CCD), solar cells - principles, structures, characteristics and typical applications.
1. Laboratory regulations, instrumentation, its operation. Security regulations. Electronic circuit.
2. PSpice and its use for analysis of electronic circuits.
3. Basic properties of semiconductors (crystal and band structure, electrons, holes, acceptors and donors, conductivity), numerical simulations.
4. PN junction (I-V characteristics, concentration profiles of injected carriers, diffusion length, electric field, temperature dependencies), numerical simulations.
5. VA characteristics and bias point of semiconductor diodes. Simulation and measurement of static characteristics.
6. Diode models in PSpice and their parameters. Measurement of dynamic characteristics. Analysis of basic circuits with diodes.
7. Transistor MOSFET - measurement of characteristics, PSpice models, parameter's extraction.
8. Application of MOSFETs in analog circuits (amplifiers): measurement and simulation.
9. Application of MOSFETs in digital circuits (CMOS inverter): design and simulation.
10. Bipolar junction transistor - measurement of characteristics, PSpice models, parameter's extraction.
11. Analysis of basic circuits with BJTs (PSpice), - comparison with experiment.
12. Power semiconductor devices - measurement of basic circuits (power MOSFET) and their analysis in PSpice.
13. Finishing missed measurements, issue of grades.
 P. Horowitz, W. Hill, : The Art of Electronics, Cambridge University Press, New York 2001
 S.M. Sze, K.Ng.Kwok: Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Wiley-Interscience, New York 2006