The major aim of these lectures is to give to students a basic overview of biophysical aspects of EM fields in different biological systems, including an overview of microwave applications in medicine. Safety limits, clinical usage of EM field effects on biological systems, microwave hyperthermia, measurement of dielectric parameters of biological tissues, EM exposure of mobile phone users, magnetic resonance imaging, interaction of optical radiation with biological tissue.
The major aim of these lectures is to give to students a basic overview of biophysical aspects of EM fields in different biological systems, including an overview of microwave applications in medicine.
1.Interaction of EM field with s biological systems
2.Numerical simulations of interactions of EM field with s biological systems
3.Biological effects of EM fields, safety limits
4.EM exposure of mobile phone users
5.EM field in medical therapy, clinical results
6.Microwave thermotherapy in oncology, urology, cardiology, surgery, etc.
7.EM therapy - treatment planning
8.EM applicators for microwave local thermotherapy
9.EM applicators for microwave intracavitary and regional thermotherapy
10.EM field in medical diagnostics
11.Magnetic resonance (MR), principals and clinical applications
12.Noninvasive temperature measurement (MR, radiometry, etc.)
14.Interaction of optical radiation with biological tissue.
1. Basics of microwave technique - overview
2. Absorption of EM field in biological tissue
3. Safety limits - evaluation
4. Technical equipment for hyperthermia - (excursion to: Inst.of Radiation Oncology)
5. Hyperthermia applicators - overview
6. Evaluation of hyperthermia applicators in water phantom
7. Evaluation of hyperthermia applicators in agar phantom
8. Design of waveguide applicator
9. Design of intracavitary applicator
10. Design of regional applicator
11. Treatment planning for microwave thermotherapy
12. Numerical simulations of temperature distribution
13. Measurements of temperature 14. Research of biological effects of EM field
1.Stavroulakis, P.: "Biological Effects of EM Fields". Springer 2003
2.Int. Journal of Hyperthermia