The communication systems are presented in wide area network context. The optical technology in backbone networks is dominant segment of the subject. The transmission and multiplexing of the digital signals are primary part of the subject, the reliability, distribution of clock, management, monitoring and design of the network are secondary part of the subject. The students can use theoretic knowledge in practice while working on the model project of transmission network.
The credit shall require 100% attendance and treatment of laboratory projects and submission of individual project. Evaluation of the exam consists of approximately 20% of the exercises, 30% individual project, 50% for their own exam.
Students will gain knowledge particularly in the technology backbone of optical systems and networks. Students will learn to configure, monitor, test and design the transmission network.
1. Telecommunication networks, their division, communication model, subsystems
2. Switching systems, integrated service networks (ISDN), networks convergence (ATM, NGN), controlling of communication processes
3. Quality assurance for different types of services, critical parameters in packet network, transmission parameter layout
4. Hierarchy of transmission systems with time and wave division multiplex (TDM, CWDM, DWDM)
5. Optical transmission systems, synchronous and optical hierarchy (SDH, OTH)
6. Network elements, terminal, add-drop and hub multiplexers and their practical use, transmission networks for Ethernet
7. Layered model of transmission networks, service communication, performance monitoring, monitored parameters
8. Network topology, network levels, sub-networks, design of transmission network, use of graph theory
9. Assurance of transmission reliability, backup, protective switching, ring networks, reliability calculation
10. Hierarchy of clock distribution, networks synchronization, synchronization layout, configuration of networks elements synchronization
11. Management of networks elements, telecommunication management network, management, configuration and monitoring
12. Transmission systems in access network, requirements, structure, topology
13. Transmission systems in access network on metallic lines (xDSL. PLC, CATV)
14. Hybrid and optical transmission systems in access network (FTTx, PON)
1. Basic review of important terms and definitions, safety rules at laboratory
2. Basis components of transmission system
3. Parameters measurement in transmission systems, analyze of error rate
4. Configuration of SDH cross-connect
5. Configuration of SDH network synchronization
6. Use of network analyzer
7. Measurements in fiber optical access network
8. Individual project assignment - network design
9. Analyze of individual project - network topology design
10. Analyze of individual project - network synchronization design
11. On-line task - Configuration of network Ethernet over SDH
12. Final test
 Caballero, J. M.: Installation and maintenance of SDH/SONET, ATM, xDSL and synchronization networks. Artech House Publishers, Boston 2003.