Integrated Modular Avionics (IMA) course focuses on the latest concept used to the development and design of aircraft electronics (avionics), which is building on software units instead of a distributed hardware systems. The IMA concept uses high-speed data links to exchange data in scheduled air transport services. The current regulatory basis and shared airspace define the requirements for accuracy, reliability and functionality of electronic systems and their behavior in case of a failure. Students will learn the details regarding the requirements of the safety-critical multi-sensor systems, methods of data processing of overdetermined systems, fault detection algorithms, the method of primary/secondary system switching of a control system in parallel architectures, data bus technologies and methods of avionics testing/certification.
1. Integrated Modular Avionics - its development, standardization, architecture and applications (A380, B787).
2. Concept of Performance-Based Navigation (PBN) requirements related to the sensor equipment and measurement precision.
3. Statistical processing of data from redundant systems. Parallel/serial architectures and their limits. Application on aerospace data.
4. Concept of Failure Detection Isolation and Recovery (FDIR) in parallel redundant systems. Design and development of electronics management and control system for aircraft engines (FADEC).
5. Integrated sensor systems, ways of integrating and sharing data. Modeling of sensor systems and their use for status and error detection (FDIR).
6. Software and its architectures, design of avionic systems - requirements, analysis of performance, reliability and security. Airworthiness and the life cycle.
7. Architecture of aircraft data buses. Aircraft bus ARINC 429, 629, 659. CSDB, ASCB.
8. Data buses: AFDX bus, MIL-1553, STANAG 3910.
9. Industrial data busses in aviation - CAN, CAN aerospace. High-speed and safe-critical data busses - SpaceWire, TTP, FlexRay, IEEE-1394.
10. Methods of analysis and testing of electromagnetic interference and susceptibility (EMI and EMS) of aircraft systems. Design rules for aircraft systems compliant with electromagnetic compatibility (EMC).
11. The certification process in the design of avionics systems - requirements, analysis of performance, reliability and security. Linking of ICAO, EASA, National Air Law legislative, non-transferred products.
12. The Technical Standard Order (TSO) requirements and expected outcomes in SW certification according to DO-178 and HW certification according to DO-160. Examples.
13. Simulation systems and their categories. Ground proximity warning systems (GPWS).
14. Cyber security, data access, security in airborne systems and air traffic control data sharing.
Seminars are focused on practical exercises where selected algorithms are used to process data from sensors, error detection algorithms (FDIR) and algorithms for the fusion of data from different sources are evaluated. The exercises bring sensor information to a computer station where we implement the data processing and display software components. Seminars will take place regularly and it is assumed the students perform gradual development from the area of sensor data processing of an exemplary sensor system to the display system generated by a professional tool. Exercise is conceived as a gradual expansion of the basic tasks. For individual work on the project sensor units with wireless interfaces are available. The lab is intended mainly on the issue of collecting data from the measuring devices and then homework to solve data processing algorithms. Students will report their solutions in work descriptions which will be evaluated through the term.
 Cary R. Spitzer: The Avionics Handbook (Electrical Engineering Handbook), CRC Press, 2007, ISBN: 978-0-84938-348-9.
 Jitendra R. Raol: Multi-Sensor Data Fusion, CRC Press, 2009, ISBN 9,781,439,800,034th
 Erik Blasch, DRDC Valcartier, Eloi Bosse, DRDC Valcartier, Dale Lambert High-Level Information Fusion Management and Systems Design, Artech House, 2012 ISBN: 978-1-60807-151-7.
All publications are available in one piece from Pavel Paces. Otherwise, the books are available on Amazon.