This course is the introduction to multimedia technology (audio and video). It overviews sound and picture acquisition, signal processing, transmission and distribution, recording and reproduction including physiology of hearing and vision. It provides fundamental information for understanding the main principles for system solutions in the field.
Knowledge of fundamentals from mathematics and physics.
The goal of the course is to present fundamentals from audiovisual technology - caption, signal processing, transmition, distribution, recording and reproduction including physiology of hearing and vision. It provides information for understanding main principles and system solutions in the field.
- Physiology and anatomy of eye, psychovisual aspects of vision
- Physiology of hearing, psychoacoustical aspects of vision
- Image information preprocessing techniques
- Electroacoustic transducers
- Source coding of sound
- Sound processing and recording
- Sensing and reproduction of image, 3D reproduction
- Fundamentals of room acoustics
- Sound acquisition and reinforcement
- Source coding of image information
- Video transmission systems, television, IPTV
- Basic measurements in acoustics
- Applied image technology, video recording
- Digital photography, desktop polygraphy, holography
- Physiology of vision - determination of basic parameters of visual sensing
- Multimedia signals - measurement on typical interfaces (e.g. SCART, HDMI)
- Basic properties of analog and digital color TV systems
- Image compression - computer simulation, subjective evaluation
- Digital photo camera - measurement of parameters, High Dynamic Range Imaging (HDR), white balance
- Image displays - measurement of basic parameters, electro-optical transfer function
- Sound field modeling
- Acoustic and mechanical systems and their models
- Directivity of acoustic transmitters, directivity factor and index, power
- Characteristics of hering systems, subjective tests, evaluation principles
- Impedance of loudspeaker in closed and vented enclosures
- Loudspeaker crossovers
- Recording media - CD, magnetic tape, DVD, MD
 Gonzales, R. C. Digital image processing, Upper Saddle River : Pearson, 2002.
 Bovik, A. Handbook of Image and Video Processing, Elsevier Academic Press, New York, 2005.
 Saleh, B.E.A., Teich, M.C.: Fundamentals of Photonics. John Wiley, New York 1991.
 Borwick, J.: Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook, Focal Press, 1997, ISBN: 0240513711