This course deals with multimedia technology and it is focused mainly on acquisition, processing and reproduction of image information. It covers area of measurements in photometry, radiometry and colorimetry; design of objective lenses, image sensors and displays including their parameters. Further the course deals with cinematography, photography and with other special methods of image reproduction, e.g. polygraphy and digital printing techniques. Studied problems are completed with explanation of advanced methods of image processing (preprocessing, compression, image reconstruction, etc.).
Knowledge of physics, mathematical analysis, and analysis of signals and systems.
Students learn principles and methods of scanning and reproduction of image and related signal processing.
1. Multimedia technology and human observer, digital photography
2. Physiological and psychovisual properties of Human Visual System - structure of image processing
3. Photometry, radiometry and colorimetry
4. Optics, 2D transfer function
5. Image sensors
6. Image displays
7. Cinematography, photography
8. Methods of image preprocessing - basic operations with images
9. Image compression methods for multimedia technology
10. Image and AV formats and compression standards for multimedia and computer technology
11. Polygraphy and digital printing techniques
12. Image reconstruction methods
13. Special optical imaging systems
14. 3D systems - methods of image sensing and reproduction, holography with applications
1. Introductions, safety precautions
2. Image processing basics in Matlab - design of a test pattern
3. Transfer function (Look-Up-Table) and histogram
4. 2D convolution - filtration and edge detection
5. Interpolation methods - sensing of color images
6. Lossy image compression - JPEG, VQ
7. Image reconstruction methods - denoising
8. Pinhole as an imaging system
9. Measurement of the Modulation Transfer Function (MTF) of a digital camera
10. Measurement of the Opto-electronic Transfer Function (OECF) of a digital camera
11. Color calibration of a production chain (digital camera, monitor, printer, projector)
12. Measurement of the spectral transmittance of photographical filters
13. Fourier optics - 2D filtration in optical path
14. Test, Assessments
 Gonzales, R. C. Digital image processing, Upper Saddle River : Pearson, 2002.
 Bovik, A. Handbook of Image and Video Processing, Elsevier Academic Press, New York, 2005.
 Goodman, J. W., Introduction to Fourier Optics, 3rd edition, Roberts&Company Pub., 2005.