This course presents applications of embedded systems and their specifics. It is expected that the students have had a programming course, and thus the course is more oriented on explaining and describing the blocks and functions of embedded systems and their use in signal processing, rather than writing code.
After completing this course, students should have an overview of usability and power of available processors, and their peripherals, on the basis of which, they should be able to independently design embedded systems for a wide spectrum of applications.
Basic knowledge of C / C ++ programming language
The aim of the course is to provide students an overview of functional capabilities, performance and peripheral devices, input and output blocks, which will enable them to orientate in the choice of microprocessor and microcontroller in a given embedded system and its subsequent use and programming.
1. Architecture of ARM Cortex M processors for embedded systems
2. ARM based microcontrollers
3. Microcontroller elements and peripherals, electrical parameters of I/O pins
4. User interfacing and control
5. Actuator interfacing
6. Digital signal processing - digitalization, sampling, quantization, spectrum, sampling theorem
7. Signal generation processing, Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS), signal processors
8.Spectrum analysis, FFT - DFT, correlation function and their use
9.Digital filters - basic types and their use, realization on microcontrollers and DSPs
10.Semiconductor sensors and MEMS, interfacing with embedded systems, information processing
11. Image and optoelectronic sensors, image acquisition and its use
12. Embedded systems in automotive, wearable, toys etc.
13. Embedded systems in smart homes, security, IoT
1. Configuring GPIO and timer on ARM STM32F2xx
2. Communication via UART interface
3. Use the rotary encoder to control the application, control the full graphic LCD and create your own library
4. Finishing the task from the past - graphical LCD control and creation of own library
5. Usage of A/D and D/A converter on ARM STM32F2xx processor
6. Control of dual-axis accelerometer
7. Using the ethernet interface for remote access
8. Implementation of DDS algorithm
9. Design and implementation of digital filters (FIR)
10. Individual project solution
11. Individual project solution
12. Individual project solution
13. Individual project solution
14.Submission of individual project, presentation of projects, evaluation, assesment
 Yiu J.: The Definitive Guide to ARM? Cortex -M3 and Cortex-M4 Processors, Newnes
 Balch, M.: COMPLETE DIGITAL DESIGN. A Comprehensive Guide to Digital Electronics and Computer System Architecture, McGRAW-HILL