Fast development of wireless radio data communications (both mobile and stationary) also results in requirements for measurement of numerous related electrical parameters in frequency band ranging from hundreds of MHz to tens of GHz. The "Microwave measurements" subject brings description of all important measurement instruments and measurement methods used in this field. Instructions devoted to measurement devices also cover detailed inner structures, principles of operation, common measurement setups and optimum setting. Even relatively complex measurement instruments and setups are discussed, for example those used for measurement of noise and non-linear parameters. Exercises are focused on practical measurements commonly performed in the wireless communication field. Besides modern measurement instruments, students also learn a number of typical RF and microwave components, circuits, subsystems and digitally modulated signals.
1. Measured parameters, measurement errors, impedance mismatch influences
2. Measurement setup components - interconnecting lines, adapters, matched loads, attenuators
3. Measurement setup components - power dividers, couplers, detectors, directional bridges
4. Microwave generators and synthesizers
5. Measurement of frequency
6. Power measurement
7. Scalar analyzers
8. Vector network analyzers
9. Vector calibration, measurement of s-parameters
10. Spectrum analyzers
11. Measurement of non-linear parameters
12. Measurement of noise parameters
13. Vector signal analyzer, measurement of modulated signals
14. Microwave oscilloscopes, time-domain measurements
1. Introduction to laboratory works
2. Scalar analyzer - measurement of MMICs
3. Scalar analyzer - measurement of waveguide components
4. Vector network analyzer - measurement of s-parameters
5. Vector network analyzer - measurement of IQ-modulator
6. Vector network analyzer - measurement of resonators
7. Non-linear parameter measurements - measurement of generators, amplifiers
8. Non-linear parameter measurements - measurement of frequency multipliers, mixers, limiters
9. Measurement of noise figure - amplifiers, passive components
10. Microwave oscilloscopes - measurement of eye-diagrams
11. Vector signal analyzer - EVM measurements
12. Comprehensive measurement of microwave front-end
13. Comprehensive measurement of microwave front-end
14. Checking of measurement reports
Hoffmann K., Hudec P.: Vysokofrekvenční a mikrovlnná měření, skriptum ČVUT 2009.
Teppati V., Ferrero A., Sayed M.: Modern RF and Microwave Measurement Techniques, Cambridge University Press 2013.
Scott A. W., Frobenius R.: RF Measurements for Cellular Phones and Wireless Data Systems, John Wiley and Sons 2008.
McCune E.: Practical Digital Wireless Signals, Cambridge University Press 2010.
Additional study materials including lecture Power-Point presentations and laboratory work instructions will be available at Moodle.