The goal is to show the problems and algorithms of combinatorial optimization (often called discrete optimization; there is a strong overlap with the term operations research).
Following the courses on linear algebra, graph theory, and basics of optimization, we show optimization techniques based on graphs, integer linear programming, heuristics, approximation algorithms and state space search methods.
We focus on application of optimization in stores, ground transportation, flight transportation, logistics, planning of human resources, scheduling in production lines, message routing, scheduling in parallel computers.
Optimisation, Discrete mathematics, Logics and graphs
1. Introduction to Basic Terms of Combinatorial Optimization, Example Applications and a Test of Preliminary Knowledge
2. Integer Linear Programming - Algorithms
3. Problem Formulation by Integer Linear Programming
4. The Shortest Paths. Problem Formulation by Shortest Paths.
5. Problem Formulation by Shortest Paths.
6. Flows and Cuts - Algorithms and Problem Formulation. Test I.
7. Multicommodity network flows
8. Knapsack Problem and Pseudo-polynomial Algorithms
9. Traveling Salesman Problem and Approximation Algorithms
10. Monoprocessor Scheduling
11. Scheduling on Parallel Processors. Test II.
12. Project Scheduling with Time Windows.
13. Constraint Programming.
1. Policy and Individual Project Market
2. Introduction to the Experimental Environment and Optimization Library
3. Integer Linear Programming
4. Individual Project I - Assignment and Problem Classification
5. Modeling Languages for Solving Combinatorial Problems
6. Individual Project II - Related Work and Solution
7. Applications of Network Flows and Cuts
8. Individual Project III - Consultation
9. Test III
11. Advanced Methods for Solving Combinatorial Problems
12. Individual Project IV - hand in a code and a written report
13. Ungraded Assessment
B. H. Korte and J. Vygen, Combinatorial Optimization: Theory and Algorithms.
Springer, third ed., 2006.
J. Blazevicz, Scheduling Computer and Manufacturing Processes. Springer,
second ed., 2001.
J. Demel, Grafy a jejich aplikace. Academia, second ed., 2002.